Monday, April 29, 2013

Lament

Going through my desk, I (Calvin) found this lament I had written for a class about a year ago.  Our American culture is not too familiar with the lament, other than in popular break up songs.  Yet the Psalms are filled with cries of anguish as people desperately try to make sense of God's movement in the midst of pain.  Though it does not reflect my current status, I was reminded of the need to express our pain in its rawest and simplest form. May you be blessed by this.

Faithful and Redeeming God,
who has called to himself a people set apart and distinct,
bearing your name, living representations of You.

Why must I deal with your people?
What do you gain by covenanting with a people such as these?
Why have you yoked me to them?

With words and proclamations,
they deceitfully masquerade themselves as
faithful, pious, and full of compassion,
yet their hearts are hardened
to forgiveness, love and reconciliation.

Like a beginning art student,
their free-hand attempts to convey your image
only mar the original.

If you've call them to be your representation,
then I don't like the You I've gotten to know.

Pettiness,
Immaturity,
Ignorance,
and Self-Righteousness abound.
Can they get any more creative with their sin?

Though I do not understand, I know that these are your people
that you are transforming by your Holy Spirit.
I know that you have not abandoned us.
Your mercy and patience extend into eternity.

May I see your hand at work in this community and in looking at them, may I see you.

1 comment: