Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Quiet Wisdom

People have often said I have a wisdom beyond my years, a compliment I treasure as I learn to develop discernment. But today I swallowed a nice dose of humility. I am reminded of how much I am still to learn and how much life I am still to experience. I read an article on Relevant Magazine today entitled 5 Ways to Slow Down in 2013. As a recovering over-committer, this caught my eye. I convinced myself to slow down for 5 minutes enough to really read the article, not just skim it like I often do. When I got to suggestion number four Be a Better Listener, my prideful-aspiring-therapist side thought - "Oh I got that in the bag!" Until I read this...
Wisdom isn't the ability to dispense witty words at a moment's notice; it's being able to withhold them for the right time. We learn what's really worth saying when we train ourselves to be more than broadcasters.
Wisdom is not just saying the right thing at the right time. More importantly, wisdom is having something to say but knowing when to shut your mouth. Sometimes I'm not so good at that part. The Lord advises us to be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.

Two passages jump out at me displaying God's wisdom in quiet, listening, patient manner. The first is after Cain is moping about his brother's sacrifice being better than his own. The Lord says to him, "Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it." Sin is awaiting at our door, but we must learn to master it. I love that, it sounds like what Mr. Miyagi would say in the Karate Kid or what Yoda would say in Star Wars.

The second passage that always kicks my butt is in Jonah. Jonah throws a very cute, mature pity party that God displays his graciousness and mercy in saving Ninevah, much to Jonah's displeasure. During the peak of his pity party, God asks Jonah, "Jonah, does it do you well to be angry?" Woof. The Lord actually asks Jonah this on two occasions! Double woof. This one hits too close to home.

Today I'm convicted of what true wisdom looks like. It's not just a witty response. It's not just thinking well on your feet. It's not a just good vocabulary or knowledge of pithy statements. It's not just quoting verses or knowing what to pray. True wisdom is true listening. It's the manifestation of a true and genuine care for another, and speaking and acting for their benefit, not your own.

Even as I write this I'm tempted to want to expound more, to appear insightful. But that's missing the boat, again. So today I'm thankful for true Wisdom, and that He is abundantly gracious and patient with us.

2 comments:

  1. You know, one thing you forgot to mention is the eschato...

    Just kidding. Wise words, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenzie - I am convicted. I must further challenge myself to not interrupt to make my point...urgh. So listening requires attention AND patience. Thanks - keep 'em comin' D-i-L!

    ReplyDelete