Saturday, January 12, 2013

Video Games and Violence

When I was in 5th grade, my belief that the classroom was a safe place was shattered when two boys entered into their high school and opened fire, killing numerous people. All eyes were on Columbine, and the media sought to blame someone or something for the killings.  Violent video games soon became the guilty culprit and many argued that violence in video games increases aggression in individuals, showing this through numerous studies. The video game industry quickly responded, conducting their own tests, which produced completely opposite results. How should we interpret "science" producing diametrically opposed conclusions? How should Christians think about and engage violence in video games?
            Before I continue, I should note that I'm 90% pacifist. Thus my own personal beliefs betray my conclusions.  I also know that many students might not like what I have to say. But in entering into ministry, I have effectively given up the right or desire to be liked. I must speak what I believe is true with love and grace, regardless of how much someone may not like me because of it.  But enough of my own insecurities.
            My issue with violence in video games is that it is not a passive, but an active violence.  Let me explain. When we watch movies, television, even the news, we are confronted with graphic images of violence. This is a passive participation.  I did not choose to make the violence happen nor did I will it.  I passively observed it.  But with video games, I am actively choosing to enact simulated violence.  In some games, like Call of Duty, I am enacting violence upon other humans.  Even if they may be cartoonish, the recent trend in video games has been a pursuit of realism.  Each new militaristic video game has more like life characters than the last.  And with each pull of the trigger, we are choosing to enact violence upon another character.
            In light of what I mentioned in my last post, the more we do something, the more it becomes habit. The more one solves problems with simulated violence, the more one will begin to turn towards violence when faced with other situations, simulated or real. The more one chooses to solve imaginary issues with violence, I believe, the more likely one might be to view violence as a viable option.
            As Christians, we must be wary of our relationship with violence. In looking at Jesus, we see that he did not use violence when he inaugurated the Kingdom of God. Though there were expectations at the time of a king-like ruler in the manner of David who would conquer Rome and lead Israel to victory, Jesus allowed violence to be inflicted upon himself, not others. Jesus did not establish his Kingdom with violence; he established it with his sacrificial death. In his Kingdom, he admonished his disciples not to respond with violence when he was betrayed. He raised the standard of the law, equating hatred and anger with murder. And as his Kingdom continues, he calls all of his disciples to foster a radical, consistent, and revolutionary love that becomes automatic. When Christians continuously enact violence against virtual characters, they are forming themselves in a manner antithetical to the Kingdom of God.
            I must conclude by confessing that I don't completely follow my own beliefs.  I am a hypocrite when it comes to this.  There are times when I enjoy playing violent video games.  I try to avoid video games in which one must kill other humans.  I would prefer to kill aliens or fictional monsters, as these may one day be a real threat. I think (and I may be making justifications for myself) that killing aliens does not encourage me to inflict violence upon other people.  But other games might.  Therein lies the call to discernment for all who follow Christ.

 

3 comments:

  1. How about nerf guns? Or what about sports? How do you respond in similar simulations of active violence? Is there room for participating without risk, or do you believe all of our actions form us to a degree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see and respect your point, but since the beginning of humanity we have been violent, with or without games, our flesh enjoys in some weird way violence, the same as wine, sex, etc. I believe that the root of the problem is that every single day the father figure of the house is either absent completely or not taking his responsibilities as a role model seriously. I do not believe that by playing violent video games you are forming yourself against the Kingdom of God. You are form by your parents and their actions, violent video games are just a side effect of a dysfunctional family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! You are right in that we are violent people; we do not need anything to draw this out of us. But if, as you say, that we are formed primarily by our parents and their actions, then are we really responsible for the way we turn out? Now it is true that our upbringing influences us, but if we must assume responsibility for our own character and formation. Video games are not the strongest influence in our formation, but it is one of them.

      Delete